If you want to try something outside of the ordinary, our balsamic and chocolate roasted beets is what you’re looking for. An underrated pairing of ingredients that serve to create delishes chocolate recipes. The mixture of the sweetness of chocolate and acidicity of the balsamic make sure that these beets are roasted in a juicy dressing that will compliment many lunch and dinner dishes.
How to make roasted balsamic and chocolate beets?
With an uncomplicated few steps, you can easily throw these chocolate and balsamic beets in the oven whilst preparing the rest of your dinner. They add a sophistication level to an everyday family lunch or a formal dinner party and are sure to go down a treat! Gain some more inspiration with our healthy chocolate recipes.
This balsamic and chocolate beets recipe is also a fantastic option for vegetarians and vegans. After tasting, you should experiment by adding some more of your favourite vegetables to make this dish into a mains rather than a side.
Balsamic and Chocolate Roasted Beets Recipe
By May 5, 2015Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 55 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
A fantastic way to combine a variety of sweet and salty flavours in the perfect acommpanying dish to a lunch or dinner meal. This isn't the first time beets and chocolate have been paired together and we are sure it's not the last! It's really something you'll just have to try for yourself...
- 1 pound red beets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Trim and peel the beets, keeping aside the greens. Using a sharp knife, cut into wedges or the desired shape and size.
- Rinse the beet greens, removing the stems and leave them to dry. Once dry, roughly chop them.
- In a baking dish, place the beets and mix with the olive oil until all of it is evenly covered. Cover the dish with foil and cook in the oven for 45 minutes or until a knife can easily go through the largest piece.
- Mix together the other ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens.
- In a separate pan, also on medium-low heat, cook the beet greans with a little bit of olive oil until they wilt. Add them to the other mixture.
- Add the greens and chocolate, balsamic dressing to the cooked beets. Toss well so that they are evenly coated. You may want to roast for another 5-10 minutes. Serve as a side dish or with another serving as a main.