For a healthy breakfast get up and go, try some granola chocolate bars to hit the spot! There’s no reason why you can’t have chocolate for breakfast and our granola bar recipe is a great way to mix sweet with nutritious. You can adjust our chocolate recipes to your own liking, if you prefer raisins to chocolate chips then don’t be afraid to add what you like to eat.
Granola bars with fruit and chocolate are not only great for breakfast time, which they can be paired with a delicious chocolate drink, but they make a tasty and filling chocolate snack that you can pick at during the day. Fill the kids’ lunchboxes with them or take some to snack at work, they are there to fill you up whenever you need.
How to make homemade chocolate granola bars?
The best way to make our chocolate granola fruit bars is to prepare them the night before and finish them off quickly in the morning. They don’t take much time at all to prepare, but for the best results leave them to set overnight.
Could you be tempted with more chocolate recipes? Our healthy chocolate cookies are low in calories, and for those looking to indulge a bit more, try our molten chocolate lava mini cakes.
Granola Bars with Fruit and Chocolate Recipe
By May 7, 2015Published:
- Yield: 12 bars
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
Wake yourself up first thing in the morning with some nutritious yet tasty chocolate and granola bars. They are so simple to make and are perfect for breakfast with a whole load of yummy ingredients. Keep the leftovers as a snack for later in the day!
- 3 cups oats (or gluten free oats)
- 2 tablespoons oil (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 ounces chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C. Scatter the oats in a pan and toast them in the oven for 15 minutes, stirring them only once.
- Line another pan with parchment paper, making sure that the sides of the paper will be able to come back over the pan once its filled.
- Heat the oil gently in a saucepan over medium-high heat, adding the sugar, honey, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring it to a simmer and stir until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
- Place the oats in a bowl and pour over the hot mixture, stirring so it covers evenly. Add in any extras, such as dried fruit, chocolate chips and nuts.
- Pour this mixture into your prepared pan and cover completely with the parchment paper or foil. Smoothen out the mixture so it goes flat and fills into the corners.
- Let the granola cool and set for an hour (or overnight) in the freezer. Once set, put on a chopping board and slice into bars.
- Lay the bars on a clean piece of parchment. Melt the chocolate in a saucepan over low heat. Drizzle the chocolate over the sliced bars or set the bars on spoonfuls of spread melted chocolate for a base.