Looking for a daring, adventurous and exotic trip away to a South American paradise? Well, we can bring you the next best thing with our scrumptuous smoky chocolate chicken chipotle! Warning, that this is not for the fainted hearted and it will rumble up your taste buds and have you begging for more. This is a chocolate recipe that you simply can’t miss out on!
Our smoky chipotle chicken recipe is perfect for a lunch or dinner. The chicken is infused with a plethora of wonderful flavours, from spicy chilies to sweet chocolate. They all work together to give you a tender, spicy and flavoursome chocolate chicken dish.
How to make smoky chipotle chocolate chicken?
Get cooking our chocolate chicken smoked chipotle chili for your friends and family. It is a dish that you have to try out, and you won’t regret it! If you have some extra time, you might want to marinate the chicken the night before in a mixture of spices to enrich the flavours of this dish even more. Depending on how spicy you can handle, adjust the levels of onions and chilies how you like.
We enjoyed our smoky chipotle chicken chili with a side of garlic bread, feel free to prepare a salad too if you like. For more exciting international dishes, have a look at our chicken mole poblano and our bean chili with chocolate and walnuts that makes a great veggie option.
Smoky Chipotle Chocolate Chicken Chili Recipe
By May 28, 2015Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
For an exciting trip, full of exotic flavours and spices, try our smoky chipotle chocolate chicken chili. It will transport you to an adventurous and fun far-away place that will make you believe you are in the heart of Mexico.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 chicken breasts cooked, shredded
- 4 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 28 ounces tomatoes fire roasted, diced
- 15 ounces pinto beans or black beans
- 4 ounces green chiles diced
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder dark chocolate
- cheese grated
- fresh cilantro (for topping)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion and garlic. Lower the heat and cover the pot. Let cook, stirring ocassionally until the onions are translucent (about 30mins).
- Add the chicken, ancho chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, chipotle chiles and adobo sauce. Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, beans and green chilies. Then the cocoa powder and salt/pepper according to your taste.
- Bring to a slow boil and let it cook, stirring uncovered, until the water level has reduced to your desired quantity.
- Top with cilantro and cheese. Serve with bread or a salad and let your mouth taste the aromas!